Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Now we're talking politics

The bitter taste of nausea is starting to accompany the landslide of election coverage that I am seeing on the big news networks. All the talk of Cindy McCain’s cookies, Michelle Obama’s stint on the View and Bill Clinton’s dirty mouth have all added up to annoying nasally background noise that makes Lindsey Lohan look interesting.

My recent distaste for the election hoopla might spawn from the fact that I have been immersed in it for so long. It is my job to find tidbits of truth in the muck, wash them off and present them in pure form to the rest of the world – or just the handful of people who read the Sparks Tribune.

Unfortunately, it is a time-tested fact that politics always ends up making its way into the mainstream media drenched in the muck. As I am spoon fed the latest gossip on Hillary and Barack, it begs the question, why do I care?

Coming home from work today I saw the moving van pull up at a neighbor’s home. She is a single mother with three kids, trying to support them as a part-time realtor. I learned that, for the first time, they will be moving into a house. You should have seen the look on the little girls face as she talked about it incessantly.

Something came through the wire the other day about Starbucks closing 600 stores nationwide. My first thought was for Carrie, the manager at the Starbucks down the street who had gotten to know us news hounds by name and always seemed excited to see us.

The other day I decided to take a walk around my neighborhood instead of driving 30 minutes south of town to my favorite hiking spot. The gas would have just been too much.


To me, that is politics. The policies and plans that these candidates actually implement could change the world that my little neighbor girl lives in. How will this effect her, my neighborhood or me? Whether Cindy McCain’s cookies are her own recipe or a Toll House reproduction really has no bearing on my life. Give me political news I want to know.

No comments: