Friday, July 4, 2008

For a moment, the world was perfect

I love the Fourth of July! The smiles, the sun, the beach, the smell of barbecue - everything is amazing. Once every year I get to spend a few beautiful hours, outside, with some of the people I love the most in the whole world. To me, that is heaven.

As the sun goes down, we all sit there and catch up on life. We have been going to the same place every Fourth since the ‘kids’ were all little. Now most of us are married and one of the group is expecting her first set of twins!

But a funny thing happens when the fireworks start to shoot out from the top of the Nugget. No matter how young or old, our eyes all get just as big and we all sit there enjoying the show and loving the fact that we are together.

I watched my little brother and his best friend, who I love as if he were family, peer at the fireworks over the tops of 3-D glasses. Their eyes were so big! The youngest boy’s mouth formed a breathy “wow” as the colors rocketed into the air. Then I looked around at all the people perched on their lawn chairs, enjoying the show. Our little crew had grown over the years as we adopted a couple of “in-laws” and extended our definition of “family.” But no matter how much we grow, the feeling is still the same. Words can’t express how much I love those family and friends.

Amid all of this, I was thankful for my freedoms. My computer bears a sticker that reads “I 'heart' the First Amendment." It started as a friendly joke about my profession. But over time, I have become increasingly passionate about liberty. Because of God’s watchful hand, I live in a nation where I can exercise free speech and practice my religious beliefs freely. Those two liberties mean more to me than I can say. And as long as this nation is a place where I can protect and nurture my faith, my family and my freedoms I will salute the flag and sing right along with Lee Greenwood. I am proud to be an American, and God bless the USA

No comments: