Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The daily grind


Most of what I have on here concerns work. It, along with school, does have a tendency to eat my life whole. But, oh I love it. This is my desk at the Insight Magazine offices. I have been lucky enough to earn a position there as managing editor - hence I get my own desk : ) Over time I have been able to defend enough territory at the Tribune to earn my own desk there too.

There is a funny similarity between my two desks - rather than a computer taking up a prominent place between the phone and stapler, I have a cord that is taped to the desk. Every morning at the Trib and every night at Insight I go through a little ritual. I take my laptop out of my bag and plug it into the internet connection. I have to admit that the desk looks rather odd when I pack up the computer for the night.

But goodness, we have fun. Recently I was nicknamed "the enforcer" out at the Trib. This is because I somehow inspire this irrational sense of fear in the mischievous manager in the Ad department. Moi? Go figure. Having great, relaxed co-workers is such a blessing. I am so lucky to work with norme, Chubs, Tribby and Special-K. And, no, that is not a drug reference.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

You mean to tell us that they don't even give you a computer to write articles for in the newspaper? Man...

SarahBeth said...

To answer that question, yes they did. But it was a Mac. . . in addition the portability of a laptop is great when you have to have something in five minutes before yesterday, so to speak.