Thursday, August 28, 2008

The start-of-semester blog. . .

So about four years ago I walked into this second floor classroom in the Frandsen Humanities building, a scared little 17-year-old freshman who was fresh from, well, 11 years of home school. I remember I was wearing a black Tommy Girl shirt, jeans and some fake converse tennis. And the feeling was amazing. I was going to college! I remember I had this lucky pen, given to me by a friend. Silly, I know.

Four years later, a lot has changed. But something funny happened Tuesday. I walked into a second floor classroom in Frandsen Humanities, sat down, pulled out a pen (which just happened to be that old lucky pen) and in walked my English 102 teacher! It had been four years and he still remembered me.

I walked in the doors of the Reynolds School of Journalism Tuesday morning and grinned. I wiped if off pretty quickly because the girl studying in the corner looked at me funny. It turned into just a little smile that lasted almost all day.

Walking into photo journalism, I saw my J school friends and the smile was back. I am so excited to be working with those people again. We kick butt guys! To add to the fun, it was so great to see the professors who I have come to know so well. Each has their own little quirks that make life in the J school so fun. Jake is a legend, Donica has latched onto the bike-commuter trend and Bob still has to bounce jovially around the building brightening everyone’s day with chocolate.

Then there is my finance teacher. Oh man. That guy is going to whack someone’s head off one day with his pointing stick! The pull-down screen feels his wrath twice a week.

Spanish might be another story. Stay tuned for that one.

Now, I realize that this post may be social suicide. Call the shrinks if you wish, but I feel pretty lucky to be in school this semester.

1 comment:

Juliann Lambson said...

I'm glad you are so optimistic!!!