Saturday, August 30, 2008

A little potpourri of randomocity

I have a sticky note in my desk that lists all the topics I have needed to blog about throughout the past couple of weeks. And the list just keeps getting longer. So in an effort to take care of everything all at once, I am writing the potpourri blog. Be prepared for a sprinkling of everything.

Somewhere in front of the blaring sunshine is a girl and a bear. But this is not just any bear just wandering the streets. State Farm Insurance has this clever marketing tactic where they send the Good Neigh-Bear out to various events to spread good will and cheer. This time he was at the Sparks Farmer's Market. Having worked for a State Farm agent for several years, I thought it was appropriate to snag a quick picture. I'm sure Kayla got a few good laughs out of it too. We had so much fun that night!

These are some cell phone pictures from the KT Tunstall concert. She was awesome! Sorry for the bad pictures, my cell phone is just not good enough. For better pictures, and a little more detail, see www.dailysparkstribune.com in the A&E section.





This sign also caught my attention. It is at the Washoe County Commission chambers. So, who is not a member of the public? Really.

Any blog about the past little while in Sarah Land would be incomplete without a word on the Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook Off. For the past week, my office has smelled like wonderful, mouth-watering ribs. Lunch has just about wiped my wallet clean. So far the best I have tried was Butch's Smack Your Lips BBQ. However, I have yet to try ribs from the reigning champ - Famous Dave's. What Krystal is holding in the photo above is the most grease and carb filled concoction I have come across yet. Texas style potatoes are apparently lumped into a wreath-shaped strainer and deep fried. Oh, you can almost see the grease oozing from the plate! Between Krystal, Jody and I we could not finish it.


In addition to the food, there was some fun entertainment and shopping. These kids were honestly one of the highlights of this year's event for me.
They stood on a little corner near the theater and waved a little cardboard sign that advertised "Flips for Tips" in cute little kid scribble. We just couldn't resist. After my sister put some money in their jar, the girl proceeded to flip though the air in gravity-defying feats of skill.

There was also some fun shopping. There are some things that you can find on the street that you can't find anywhere else. And it is just fun to browse.

No comments: